Tuesday, March 20, 2012

From March 15, 2012

One of the things I started doing my first full season here, 2009, was taking pictures on the 1st and 15th of each month. This has helped me to see progress year over year, plus in that particular season how things are growing every 2 weeks. I wasn't as good about this, along with many other things, last season. I had worked so hard to get my gardens in tip top shape for my 40th birthday party in mid June, that I pretty much gave up after that. Yikes!

Last week I went out and took some pictures of the early growth. Looking at pictures from last year in early April, I think I'm pretty much 2 weeks ahead of the schedule right now. We've had an incredibly mild winter and this spring is looking the same for now. I did get out in the garden on Wednesday to start some early season weeding, prepping beds and cleaning up a few things that weren't done last fall. An area of my yard that I tend to neglect is the rock garden at the beginning of the driveway. I have wild berries everywhere that I'd like to get pulled out as best as we can. Plus just clean up all weeds and debris. Then hopefully maintenance won't be too bad.

The most exciting thing was planting some arugula & lettuce! For now in planters by the house until the vegetable garden gets rototilled. I'm hoping that's soon - a little ahead of when I usually do it. I'm ready to get some peas & spring onions out there! I have order most of my seeds. I might do an entry on that next week. In the past I've been fortunate that my Mom has worked at a seed counter at the Philadelphia Flower Show where I got all my seeds. They didn't do it this year so I was on my own ordering what I knew! Trying not to overwhelm with all the options.

Lettuce & arugula planted for early season:


Here are some pictures of a few of the beds in the early season:

 Happy Gardening!





No comments:

Post a Comment