Thursday, March 29, 2012

Garden on Steroids!

Wow... from March 15 to March 22, we had unseasonably, crazy warm weather here in the northeast. That caused gardens all around to sprout out of the ground, spring flowering trees to bud, some to even flower and even tulips start to open. As a gardener, you may have been thinking it was time to start the spring clean-up. Well, that schedule got pushed forward! At least for me it did. Looking at pictures from last year, where my garden is now, it was April 15 and a little later. I had a tulip open this week, that didn't happen until almost April 20 last year! We have seen the weather stabilize to normal 'March' temperatures which will hopefully slow things down some.

Here are some pictures of what it is going on: 

The daffodils in my main garden, that usually look like this the first week or so of April.

Daffodils along our woods line that are mostly of the 'later' variety to open in May are all opening now! I do love their happy yellow demeanor out there, I just worry that I'm going to have nothing come May!

A look at all the perennials starting to come up, which is also food for the deer.

Pink tulips in one of my built in planters. These get very tall so likely won't flower for another month, but that's still a month before their May 13 opening last year.

Arugula I had to pick from the veggie garden! Seeds flew all over and it came up fast. I had to pick it before the veggie garden got rototilled. Yum! I love spring treats like that.


Finally, my quince just before it opens! I'm usually still forcing the flowers open at this  time of year. This is a bush that I have grown to love with it's pink flowers to go with my yellow daffodils!

No comments:

Post a Comment